Friday, April 3, 2015

Interesting Construction Technique

My newest shawl has a border inspired by a construction technique I found in Wrapped in Lace by Margaret Stove.  In her Rosebud and Filmy Fern shawls, she starts from the bottom of the shawl and creates points using short rows before continuing the body of the shawl.

I had to swatch a bit of her pattern to understand how it was constructed.

There are two techniques.  In one, you make a long strip of garter stitch and then knit down so many stitches and start completing short rows in a lace pattern to fill the triangle.  In the other, you knit a bit of garter, fill it with short rows, then cast on additional stitches and fill it with short rows, until you have a long string of points.

I decided the first would be the best for my pattern, but I wanted smaller "wing" points and a larger center point that would work up into a back panel.  So I charted out what I wanted and made a rather large swatch.

I'm pleased with the results.  It's such a fun technique and not really that difficult once you get the hang of it, though it is rather nerve wracking turning a laceweight yarn project back and forth for the short rows.  Someday I will have to learn to knit backwards.

9 comments:

  1. This post is really valuable that designed for the new visitors. Pleasing work, keep on writing.
    hero tameer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. demolition

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am impressed by the information that you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject. Gold Coast Decorative Concrete

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finally found great post here.I will get back here. I just added your blog to my bookmark sites. thanks.Quality posts is the crucial to invite the visitors to visit the web page, that's what this web page is providing. 清拆

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome blog. I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work! Buy weed online

    ReplyDelete
  6. eBay is additionally another famous setting to sell high quality products. Know however, that you will rival different merchandise that are not handcrafted and might be less expensive. A decent depiction of the thing and its advantages is consistently a smart thought. paint by number

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please let me know if you’re looking for a article writer for your site. You have some really great posts and I feel I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d absolutely love to write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please send me an email if interested. Thank you!
    marijuana for sale

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post is very simple to read and appreciate without leaving any details out. Great work! Kernbohrungen Aarau

    ReplyDelete
  9. The craftsman can likewise set up an approach to have an advanced photograph display of their work put away in where individuals can see at whatever point they wish as well. Diamond Painting Tips

    ReplyDelete